A mission committee consisting of Mr. Hugh Williams, Mr. Wilson, Mr. Clyde Gladden and Re. B.F. Auston, was appointed by Second Baptist Church to check out a vacant lot on York Road. The committee thought this would be a good place for a church. At that time the building for Eastside Baptist Church was was bought from Shady Grove for $1,000. The York Road Mission was organized into a Church on Sunday, October 7, 1951. Our Fellowship Building stands at this site at the present time. The first pastor, Rev R.L. Chaney, came frm the Burlington Mission, which was a branch from Second batptist Church. Along with Rev. Chaney, Rev. James E. Williams conducted some of the evening services. On July 28, 1957, the new Church was built on its present site, which is adjacent to the Fellowship Building.
Past pastors of Eastside Baptist Church are as follows:
Rev. R.L. Chaney, Rev. Don Wilson, Rev. Carl Greene, Rev. W.M. Helms, Rev. Thomas E. Moore, Jr., Rev. L.A. Faulkenbury, Rev. Darrell Cable, Rev. harry Vance, Rev. James E. Williams, Rev. Dale Thornburg and Rev. Eugene Land. Our present pastor is Rev. Ron A. Caulder who was called as pastor in December 2009.
Charter Members of Eastside Baptist Church are as follows:
|Rev. R.L. Chaney, Pastor
Mrs. Belvie Blackwell
Minnie Lee Bennett
William L. Bridges
Mrs. R.L. Chaney
Robert H. Chaney
Martha Sue Chaney
James E. Williams